[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
TranceHits.com • View topic - You opinion on my show...

You opinion on my show...

Anything related to music is discussed here.

Moderator: MODs

You opinion on my show...

Postby DIONYSOS » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:55 am

Hi guys,

I'm contemplating a new idea for my show and thought I'd get your listener's feedback before I decide.

The way I program my show now is a blend of all the EDM sounds that I like mixed harmonically. So a typical episode would start with some Melodic Techno, build up to Progressive House, then peak with Progressive Trance, with a rather wide BPM range and entirely harmonically matched. Some valid criticisms are that it's too many different sounds in 1 hour which is not at all common as DJs typically have an "identity sound", but to me musical eclecticism is my identity sound.

The direction I'm thinking of taking now is this: each episode is dedicated to one genre, playing my top 10 releases of this genre during the past month. So, you'd have a Trance episode on one week, a House episode on the next, a Techno episode on the third, and repeat. The pro is that this format ensures internal consistency within each episode since it's just one sound. The con is that it's not externally consistent week after week since there's no standard format replayed every week. So if you take each episode separately, it sounds brilliant, but if you take the month's 4 episodes together, there's a noticeable different between each episode. Another con is that not all the transitions will me harmonically matched, since the playlist will be made up of my top 10 tracks of the month in that specific genre, which makes it not always possible to ensure harmonic matching.

Let me know your thoughts guys, I really want your opinion! And please no comments around "just quit Trance" or "just quit dark stuff" :P

Cheers,
Dio
DIONYSOS
Junior Admin
Junior Admin

Re: You opinion on my show...

Postby Nicktalopia » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:41 pm

It won't be easy to dedicate an episode to each genre on it's own, that's gonna make things a whole lot worse in terms of having your own identity sound.
I suggest expanding the show time limit if it's possible, dedicate 1 hour for prog house/techno and finish the second hour with progressive Trance.
The longer the show is the more options you'll have to expand your playlist picks and mark your choice of sound.
hayda ra2ieh fakir fia
Nicktalopia
Often Trancer
Often Trancer

Postby Genesis » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:16 pm

Dion, I think what you're doing at the moment is great. Stick to the current format: it's doing you well. There's far too many cons in the other idea so avoid it. Besides, if you want to have a different sound, your fans (lol...) will get all confused about your style.
Since the first day I've met you, you've liked all genres equally. And whereas I ripped on you for that, it was still admirable and interesting to know that someone could have allegiance for so many different styles. You playing dedicated genres on different sets at different weeks stands against who you are and what you're trying to convey in your sets: DIVERSITY.

My suggestion is to stay where you are but try to play a longer set. I know you have station programmes to stick to and time restrictions. But just put a pin in that for a minute because I'm not particularly concerned with it. Imagine what you can do in a 2-hour set. Or even a 90-minute set. I've always thought that an hour is too short. No DJ can fully enjoy himself or express his music in a one-hour set. Maybe someone trashy like David Guetta can, but you're not trash.

So here's the punch-line for ya: Speak to NRJ and see if they can give you more air time or move your set to another slot where you can possibly have more time. Otherwise, and as much as this will freak you out, keep doing what you do but keep an open eye on other stations and see if they can offer you more air time. There's more internet radios that I can count (and actual useless radios in lebanon) - someone is bound to take you up.

Of course, you can always take the quick and effective road: Just quit Trance :mrgreen:
Genesis
Psy FrEaK
Psy FrEaK

Postby samlbronkowitz » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:36 pm

to be honest with you, as much as I respect musical eclectisciasdiaiosdfasd (however u spell it), its makes it difficult to listen to your shows. I'm sure Raneem, Samer etc. would be bored in the first 30min and enjoy the latter part, while I might listen to the first part and turn off half way thru.

You can't please everyone, u have to do it yourself, but having a show go from 125-135 or whatever the range is just not really audio-pleasing.

Some might say that dedicating 1 show for each genre will confuse people about your sound, ur "identity"--but your identity is ALL the soudnds--u genuinelly like all of the sub-genres. I say mix it up: I promise I'll download/listen more ;)
Are you ready to go on a musical trip with me, through love...happiness...music....AND PARTY TIME?

Nothing spells success like EXCESS!
samlbronkowitz
Trance FrEaK
Trance FrEaK

Postby TranceFusion » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:51 pm

The idea sounds interesting but indeed the fans will be confused and you will lose your current identity :? better to keep it the way it is now :)
* Eternally Living In *
***A State Of Trance***

When you dream, there are no rules
People Can Fly
Anything can happen
TranceFusion
Ultimate Trancer
Ultimate Trancer

Postby Silver Edge » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:38 pm

change = big mistake
simple as that ... u got a gr8 show goin on ,the only reason i listen it is because the blend of genres u put together and how perfectly ur sounds match ,ur different than others ( not sayin other shows suck )
Silver Edge
New Trancer
New Trancer

Postby Ali N » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:47 pm

Whats so special about your show Dio is the blend of the genres you do all together!! If you dedicate a set to a specific genre each week, it will be like any other radio show. Don't change a thing about it :)
"Don't Be A Prisoner Of You're Own Style" -Armin Van Buuren
Ali N
New Trancer
New Trancer

Postby e-sam » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:57 am

How about you implement your new idea in 1 episode so we will have a REAL opinion towards it? Hypothesis will never reach a theorem without solid proof you know :mrgreen:
e-sam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ali N » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:09 pm

^ +1
"Don't Be A Prisoner Of You're Own Style" -Armin Van Buuren
Ali N
New Trancer
New Trancer

Postby Qulture » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:17 pm

i think that its very simple . You dont control the amount of releases per genre each week , so depending on how many new releases of a certain type of edm is released and gotten your approval , you will sort your tracklist . Some episodes will get more techno , some more trance just because there are more good trakcs of that certain edm type in that week !!

so keep it as it is ... diversity is key , its a radio show , not a compilation or artist album !!
Qulture
Trance FrEaK
Trance FrEaK

Postby DIONYSOS » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:53 pm

Solid input my friends! Thank you for taking the time to share your views!

To answer some quick points:

Nick & Gen: Prolonging the show's length is not an option, even if it were I wouldn't have the time for a 2 hour weekly show.

bronko: I agree eclectisciasdiaiosdfasd makes it difficult to listen to my shows, a comment I often get from people who are dedicated to a specific sound, which is why I am entertaining this new idea now. What I'll lose though, as some of the other guys said, is my identity of a DJ who melts it all in one pot. Do you think having episodes dedicated to one genre would strengthen that identity or weaken it?

Q: That's true, but don't forget that my show now blends old and new releases, not just stuff from the latest week, as the tracks are sorted by key, that's why I always say "it's a radio show not a chart", while my new concept would indeed feel like a chart (since it actually is my top 10 of the month for each genre).

Very helpful contribution guys really, many thanks and please keep them coming as I'm still confused!!! :lol:
DIONYSOS
Junior Admin
Junior Admin

Postby crow » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:47 pm

Your ideas are good, but frankly, if you wait for every week to let's say mix your top 10 of each sub genre, then it will cost you a lot of time and effort. Just stick to what you've got. It's still good to be honest. Why not dissect your 1 hour to each genre?

And edit your tracks to make them shorter. You don't have to mix all 16 bars. Give your genres more breathing space.

So let's say 3 tracks Techno, 3 tracks House, 3 tracks Prog Trance?
Hope this helps :)
crow
Trance Officer
Trance Officer

Postby DIONYSOS » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm

Actually it's not that hard, because it's the month's top 10, not the week's, so playlisting is done once a month only... The show is already "dissected" into the 3 genres even if not evenly every week. And no time for editing!

Any other ideas guys?
DIONYSOS
Junior Admin
Junior Admin

Postby ziz00_909 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:21 pm

as much as i like the current show.. but the Idea of a full hour of techno..or a full hour of progressive house..!! :twisted:

maybe take the hour of one of the clowns that are still on the Mastermix [bob sinclair - MICHAEL KAISER - LAURENT WOLF - MARTIN SOLVEIG]..
naturally Artificial!
ziz00_909
Certified Trancer
Certified Trancer

Postby TranceFusion » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:38 am

If taking one hour from those clowns was possible, i'd strongly suggest to take Bob Sinclair and Laurent Wolf :P they aren't even clowns... rather a human species that got stuck at some point in the evolutionary process!!

Making it 2 hours can be interesting and can be broadcasted twice per month, every 2 weeks... since you don't have much free time. You would play more tracks of each genre :)
* Eternally Living In *
***A State Of Trance***

When you dream, there are no rules
People Can Fly
Anything can happen
TranceFusion
Ultimate Trancer
Ultimate Trancer

Next

Return to The Music Room